Skip to main content

raw chocolate and mango-berry tart


I've moved! Visit my new home Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks!


what's the difference between a pie and a tart anyhow? why do I randomly keep coughing? wait, ignore that second one, I was just on a question roll...

anyway, it's our father's day dinner today and I wanted to make a yummy chocolate nut cake. The filling is the icing from Ani Phyo's chocolate walnut torte. At first when I mentioned this as a possible recipe, my mom vetoed it saying my dad couldn't eat avocados as they caused him to hallucinate. Then she told me about how they'd gone to their friends' place for dinner, my dad had downed two bowls of avocado soup and disappeared. They found him hours later (I don't quite understand the reason for such an excessive time lapse, but hey clearly my parents are very strange) lying on the porch, thinking he was dying. So I was going to make a different recipe instead. But then in speaking to my dad, I learned that he "eats avocados all the time!" Of course he does. So, game back on! Weirdos.

I've made Ani's recipe a number of times and my fave part is eating the leftover icing. But then I discovered I had been making it wrong this whole time! I figured cacao power was just ground up nibs. Not so! The cacao powder is what's left when the cacao butter is taken out, or something like that. So yesterday I bought actual powder and it's WAY different! I like them both equally in this recipe; the one with ground up nibs is more like a pudding, whereas the one with the powder is intensly icing-esque. For this tart recipe, I think I would actually do the ground up nibs version, I think it would fit nicer and be less intense. But I just made a lot of the powder version, so it's that that I'll be using.


shell
1/2c hazelnuts
1/2c almonds
1/2c walnuts
1c dates
1/3c+2tbsp cacao powder
1/4tsp sea salt

In a food processor, pulse nuts with the sea salt until small pieces. Careful not to overblend as it will then turn into nut butter. Which will also be delicious, but will change your recipe plan considerably...
When the nuts are in tiny pieces, add in the dates and cacao and mix together until slightly doughy consistency and well mixed.

In your tart pan - which I would recommend sprinkling first with finely ground nuts or shredded coconut to help it come out more easily - press with fingers to create a pie shell. Now, what I learned after my first attempt, is that you should not make the base too thin, otherwise when you lift it out, it will just fall apart. Put in fridge for a couple of hours - will help it hold together more.

Fill almost to the top with Ani Phyo's icing. It's a bit sticky, so you might need to use your fingers to smooth it in.

Icing
1/3c pitted Medjool dates
1/4c agave nectar
1/2c avocado
1/3c cacao powder

Blend the dates and agave in food processor until it forms a thick syrup. Add avocado and process until smooth. Add cacao powder and process until well mixed.



chop up a mango, toss with raspberries and spoon on top of the chocolate. You can use any mix of berries for this and don't need the mango. We're a mango obsessed family though, so I thought the combo would be nice.

Return to fridge till ready to serve!

I made tartlets, so I removed them from the pans first before filling them. I would dust the plate you're putting them on when crushed nuts or cacao powder as they do get stuck. If you're making in a bigger pan, you can just cut straight in the pan and serve slices out of it.


Comments

Kilucru said…
I want one of those....yahoooo

Popular posts from this blog

Raw vegan meal plan (Day 2) and raw vegan tacos (or, my new obsession)

I've moved! Visit my new home  Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks! I'm building my meal plan to allow for leftovers, because in any meal plan, really, leftovers are kind of needed to get by timewise. A note on raw eating...I am trying to achieve a high raw lifestyle, meaning that 90-95% of what I'm eating is raw. However, when it comes to spices and oils and tamari, I am often not opting for the raw versions. For spices and oils, this is a matter of accessibility (other than coconut oil, which is easy and inexpensive to acquire); although I am going to try to find and use more whole versions of the spices (like the tumeric root and cardamon pods, for instance), it will still be very hard to determine whether these are raw. For tamari, this is because nama shoyu (the raw version) contains gluten, which I am allergic to. Now, you could go with bragg's soy sauce-like product, but I don't use e

Make your own raw tahini and cheesy tahini broccoli recipe

I've moved! Visit my new home  Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks xoxo Broccoli smothered in cheesy tahini sauce I already toted the many amazing benefits of sesame seeds here so we'll skip that part in this post and go straight to the awesomeness that is tahini. Raw tahini is delightfully easy, and inexpensive, to make. And you can do such awesome things with it! I personally love using tahini as salad dressing. And when I discovered you could make a delicious cheese sauce with it...!! You can't really tell from the photo, but this makes a deliciously creamy and cheesy sauce that you can use on zucchini linguine, or for kale chips, or really just about anywhere that cheesy goodness could go (which is pretty much anywhere). The cheesy tahini broccoli is my version of Julie Morris 's awesome recipe. While you're there check out her other recipes, yum they sure do look good! How t

Raw vegan chili and a raw meal plan for the lazy chef in all of us

I've moved! Visit my new blog La Belle Vie for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks!   Hearty bowl of raw chili Ok, it's been a great great weekend for many reasons: went to an amazing clothing swap put on by V. A. S. T. , went to my adorable niece's birthday party, attended a wonderful raw potluck (yum!!), and went to my uncle and dad's joint bday lunch at my uncle's place. And to make everything even better, there were amazing people and conversations throughout it all! So that part has been great. Of course, all the family get togethers mean that I haven't been eating as raw as I normally do. And I'm really noticing how much better my body does when I'm eating mostly raw. I feel much more grossly full and sluggish on cooked foods. And my throat is burning as it's giving me some serious acid reflux issues. I've also been on this stupid cleanse (I bought it a long time ago and figured I had be