Skip to main content

banana ice cream for breakfast



IMPORTANT NOTE: I now have an email address, which you guys can write me at. If you have any questions, if you'd like to see a post on anything in particular, if you want to send me photos of your versions of my recipes, or if you just want to say hi, email me: SeleneAtVeganlicious @ gmail.com

I'm pretty excited these days because it's finally MANGO SEASON! Yes, I don't think about the year in terms of winter, spring, etc.; I think about it in terms of what fruits and veggies are seasonal. Winter would be unbearable if it wasn't for clementimes and pomegranates. Spring brings mangoes (another reason it's my fave time of year), summer is about the berries, fall is for the apples...TNT, an asian supermarket, was having a special on them and we got a huge case for $7.99! So I've been having mangoes everyday for my morning and afternoon  snacks.

I'm also excited these days because I have just discovered the most amazing breakfast ever: ice cream! One of my favourite things about eating raw is that it's perfectly acceptable to have dessert for breakfast. I've had chocolate mousse, cashew cheesecake, and now ice cream. Today I had chocolate, but I've been also having my fair share of vanilla.

How is this possible??? You ask, in awe but also confused (and maybe a little concerned, if mom, you're reading this post). THROUGH THE WONDER OF BANANAS!! You may have noticed in your smoothie making expeditions that throwing a bunch of frozen fruits into the blender makes it super thick and creamy. Well, it's the same principle! Little trick I've learned to get things blending smoothly: cut your banana into slices before freezing.

Vanilla ice cream
1 banana, sliced and frozen
1 Tbsp hemp seeds
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or just throw some seeds from a vanilla bean in there)
1 tsp agave (this is very optional for vanilla. Bananas are super sweet on their own and don't really need this.)
1/2 Tbsp water or nut milk (to get things going)

Throw in a blender or food processor (I'm using a magic bullet). Blend until thick and creamy. You may need to stop halfway through and stir a bit to keep the frozen pieces on the bottom. Don't overblend as it'll get too soft (though you can firm up for a bit in freezer if it does). When done, the texture will be smooth and creamy like soft serve ice cream. Yum!!

Chocolate ice cream
Vanilla ice cream ingredients (here you will need the sweetener as the chocolate powder is bitter)
1/2 Tbsp raw cacao powder

Follow the same instructions as above.

Enjoy having a delicious breakfast and the look on the faces of your non raw vegan friends and co-workers when you tell them you had ice cream for breakfast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raw vegan meal plan (Day 2) and raw vegan tacos (or, my new obsession)

I've moved! Visit my new home  Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks! I'm building my meal plan to allow for leftovers, because in any meal plan, really, leftovers are kind of needed to get by timewise. A note on raw eating...I am trying to achieve a high raw lifestyle, meaning that 90-95% of what I'm eating is raw. However, when it comes to spices and oils and tamari, I am often not opting for the raw versions. For spices and oils, this is a matter of accessibility (other than coconut oil, which is easy and inexpensive to acquire); although I am going to try to find and use more whole versions of the spices (like the tumeric root and cardamon pods, for instance), it will still be very hard to determine whether these are raw. For tamari, this is because nama shoyu (the raw version) contains gluten, which I am allergic to. Now, you could go with bragg's soy sauce-like product, but I don't use e

Make your own raw tahini and cheesy tahini broccoli recipe

I've moved! Visit my new home  Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks xoxo Broccoli smothered in cheesy tahini sauce I already toted the many amazing benefits of sesame seeds here so we'll skip that part in this post and go straight to the awesomeness that is tahini. Raw tahini is delightfully easy, and inexpensive, to make. And you can do such awesome things with it! I personally love using tahini as salad dressing. And when I discovered you could make a delicious cheese sauce with it...!! You can't really tell from the photo, but this makes a deliciously creamy and cheesy sauce that you can use on zucchini linguine, or for kale chips, or really just about anywhere that cheesy goodness could go (which is pretty much anywhere). The cheesy tahini broccoli is my version of Julie Morris 's awesome recipe. While you're there check out her other recipes, yum they sure do look good! How t

Raw vegan chili and a raw meal plan for the lazy chef in all of us

I've moved! Visit my new blog La Belle Vie for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks!   Hearty bowl of raw chili Ok, it's been a great great weekend for many reasons: went to an amazing clothing swap put on by V. A. S. T. , went to my adorable niece's birthday party, attended a wonderful raw potluck (yum!!), and went to my uncle and dad's joint bday lunch at my uncle's place. And to make everything even better, there were amazing people and conversations throughout it all! So that part has been great. Of course, all the family get togethers mean that I haven't been eating as raw as I normally do. And I'm really noticing how much better my body does when I'm eating mostly raw. I feel much more grossly full and sluggish on cooked foods. And my throat is burning as it's giving me some serious acid reflux issues. I've also been on this stupid cleanse (I bought it a long time ago and figured I had be