Skip to main content

Spiced stuffed baked apples - now that's how you welcome fall!


Terrible picture, I know. I can't find my camera, so this was taken on my cousin's cell phone. This is a super easy fall time dessert I made for thanksgiving dinner with the family and some friends who don't have family in Canada. It tastes just like apple pie!

My parents always travel in the fall, and I was in Vancouver with my best friend last year, so we've missed the past three years of Thanksgiving. So this year it was kind of a big deal. And we ended up with ten (!!) people - the four of us, my sister's boyfriend and friend, my couch surfer from France, my cousin who is visiting from India, and his two roommates who are also from India. Overall, it was an amazing Thanksgiving weekend and gave me so much to be thankful for - I spent all my time doing amazing things with amazing people including some very close friends and some new friends. 

One negative thing about the whole weekend was around someone who I thought was close to me. I tend to take my personal relationships very seriously and can be pretty sensitive when someone pulls a mean girl/guy on me. The situation has got me down over the past week and has had me thinking a lot about the people in my life and who and what I spend my energy on. I think, a week later, I finally have some resolution on the whole matter. At the end of the day, I try to approach everyone I meet with the assumption that I like them and that they're awesome. In most cases, judging by this past summer alone, this ends up being amazing and I have been lucky to have people in my life who mean a great deal to me. And even people who I've only spent a little bit of time with, it's still been amazing and resulted in great conversation and many laughs. However, doing this does also mean opening yourself up to the possibility that someone will disappoint you. And I have definitely been disappointed and it does definitely hurt. And since I'm an overthinker and a dweller...well...you can guess how that has gone. But, I decided late last night/today that I'm done dwelling and that I'm not going to regret giving these people a chance to be a part of my life even though it didn't work out, that I'm not going to not give other people an open invitation to be a part of my life out of fear, because that would be ridiculous and I would miss out on so much. So, as with fall, time to clean out the old and focus on the beautiful colours of life. And, of course, eat delicious baked apples.

Spiced stuffed baked apples
empire apples, cored all the way through (I used a corer and it was so so easy. and then i scraped a bit at the sides with the corer to make the hole bigger.I saved those non-core apple bits for the mix)
pecans
cranberries, fresh or frozen
cinnamon
chopped apple from when you hollowed the apples out
maple syrup (optional)

Preheat oven at 425F
Place hollowed out apples in a baking dish
mix pecans, cranberries, chopped apple, cinnamon and a bit of maple syrup (I used very little)
stuff apples with the mix to the top
Bake in oven until soft 

Serve with almond cream or just enjoy on their own.

What's your favourite fall time dessert?

xo
Selene

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raw vegan meal plan (Day 2) and raw vegan tacos (or, my new obsession)

I've moved! Visit my new home  Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks! I'm building my meal plan to allow for leftovers, because in any meal plan, really, leftovers are kind of needed to get by timewise. A note on raw eating...I am trying to achieve a high raw lifestyle, meaning that 90-95% of what I'm eating is raw. However, when it comes to spices and oils and tamari, I am often not opting for the raw versions. For spices and oils, this is a matter of accessibility (other than coconut oil, which is easy and inexpensive to acquire); although I am going to try to find and use more whole versions of the spices (like the tumeric root and cardamon pods, for instance), it will still be very hard to determine whether these are raw. For tamari, this is because nama shoyu (the raw version) contains gluten, which I am allergic to. Now, you could go with bragg's soy sauce-like product, but I don't use e

Make your own raw tahini and cheesy tahini broccoli recipe

I've moved! Visit my new home  Make Life Beautiful for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks xoxo Broccoli smothered in cheesy tahini sauce I already toted the many amazing benefits of sesame seeds here so we'll skip that part in this post and go straight to the awesomeness that is tahini. Raw tahini is delightfully easy, and inexpensive, to make. And you can do such awesome things with it! I personally love using tahini as salad dressing. And when I discovered you could make a delicious cheese sauce with it...!! You can't really tell from the photo, but this makes a deliciously creamy and cheesy sauce that you can use on zucchini linguine, or for kale chips, or really just about anywhere that cheesy goodness could go (which is pretty much anywhere). The cheesy tahini broccoli is my version of Julie Morris 's awesome recipe. While you're there check out her other recipes, yum they sure do look good! How t

Raw vegan chili and a raw meal plan for the lazy chef in all of us

I've moved! Visit my new blog La Belle Vie for more recipes and healthy living tips. Don't forget to update your bookmarks!   Hearty bowl of raw chili Ok, it's been a great great weekend for many reasons: went to an amazing clothing swap put on by V. A. S. T. , went to my adorable niece's birthday party, attended a wonderful raw potluck (yum!!), and went to my uncle and dad's joint bday lunch at my uncle's place. And to make everything even better, there were amazing people and conversations throughout it all! So that part has been great. Of course, all the family get togethers mean that I haven't been eating as raw as I normally do. And I'm really noticing how much better my body does when I'm eating mostly raw. I feel much more grossly full and sluggish on cooked foods. And my throat is burning as it's giving me some serious acid reflux issues. I've also been on this stupid cleanse (I bought it a long time ago and figured I had be